Friday, July 1, 2011

Quandary Peak- Part 1



March 21, 2011


So I should have posted this on the blog a long time ago along with several of the other hikes Scott and I did before our attempt on Quandary.

So I thought I was in fairly decent shape cardiovascular wise, especially after doing several of the hikes prior to coming to Colorado.  I will be the first to admit that I was completely unprepared for the effect the altitude would have on my endurance and overall performance.   Prior to our attempt on Quandary Brandon and Kristine took us up one of the ski slopes in Vail for Swiss Bobsledding.  Hiking up the ski slope was a definite challenge for me but i thought if I take it slow on Quandary I should be able to make the summit, it's only about a 3 mile hike.  What I didn't anticipate were the unforgiving 60-70mph winds once we passed tree line.

At the start of the trailhead I was optimistic and excited to summit my first 14er.  The first half of the trail was pretty easy with a fairly defined trail through the forest.  As we began to get closer to 12,000' and out of the protection of the trees the wind started to become a factor.


Scott ready to start the hike, ski goggles and all.  His goal was to keep up with Brandon, which I have to say he did pretty well.


You can see Scott right behind Brandon ahead on the trail.
Dave and Sarah, Myself, Brandon, and Rainey during a break before we pass tree line.

Sarah, Scott, Myself, Brandon, and Rainey

Sarah getting prepped with warmer clothes before we make our attempt to the summit.

 This was taken on the way down after our unsuccessful attempt.  We made it to the top of the first ridge at the top of the picture.  At that point I was mentally DUN!  I really struggled with the demoralizing aspect of getting to the top of that ridge and realizing I still had another mile to go with a steeper ascent to the summit.  Couple that with the brutal winds and hardly being able to stand upright, my head was just not in it.
A quick stop to enjoy the view while the rest of us caught up.

I realized after this attempt that I had a lot of work to do if I wanted to summit Kili.

No comments:

Post a Comment